4.05.2013

Do Not Be Misled | Bad Company Corrupts Good Character

One of my favorite parts of the day is lunch.  

NOOOOO- not because I get to eat (although that is a plus)!

But because it's the time during my work day where a few of my co-workers and I mosey on into an empty conference room and socialize.  

I don't get out much.  I can't think of a better way of putting it, but I'm a homebody.  Most of my friends with a family to look after live on a different island.  Most of my friends that do live on the same island, well, we're just in different seasons in our lives.  I'm not a club goer and don't like large crowds or loud music.  And I have a tighter budget than most.  If I do venture out and about, I'm usually with my husband and most times we have Phillip.  So my social time with other women is pretty rare.

Anyway, where was I? 

Oh yes.  Lunch time social hour.   

Topics usually range from current events to personal stories to happenings around the museum (did I mention that I work at a museum?)  

Sometimes it's politics.  Rarely it's religion.

More often than not, it's gossip.

I've been trying really hard over the past couple of months to not get involved.

But it's tough.  Very very tough.

Especially because the more difficult co-workers are know to be well, difficult.  And sometimes when dealing with difficult people, it's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling frustrated and that others share the same feelings.

But I'm wrong.  

I've been trying really hard to extend grace to everyone I come in contact with but sometimes people are rude or manipulative or just plain rude (just to be sure, sometimes people can be rude).

Most times when I leave the lunch room I'm laughing at a funny joke or story or following up with a fellow mama on baby stuff.

But sometimes I walk out feeling awkward.  And disappointed.  And just kinda gross.

As if I don't know who I am anymore. 

I used to justify these daily gatherings because I hate eating at my desk.  So if I'm not going to eat at my desk, I should just sit in the lunch room, right?

Now I'm thinking that it's not such a great idea.

I could use that hour for other things.  Catch up on my reading.  Do a devotional.  

Go for a walk!

I used to do that (do you remember?) awhile back.  I can always pick that up again!

Maybe this is the push I need to use my lunch break for my daily walks again.  

It will take more planning and an extra bag for clothes and shoes.

Recently I've been feeling a big push to manage my time better- not just to cross things off my to-do list, but to also prioritize my life.

Do I have the time to take an hour lunch? Most days, yes.

Does that mean I should spend the hour talking story (chit chatting) with my co-workers?  Maybe not.

So today I'm going to do something different.

I'm going to eat lunch outside.

By myself.

With a book.

Maybe go for a walk.

But I'm done with the negativity and the gossip.

It's not who I am and not someone I ever want to be.


 photo DoNotBeMisled_zps6a119a68.jpg

5 comments:

  1. When i worked for a larger office i too would gossip with the ladies in the lunch room. Luckily there was never any awkwardness. Now I work in a small office and it isnt an option.

    I think going for a walk at lunch is a great idea! just make sure you take a few minutes in the day to catch up with the ladies you consider friends so they dont feel like you are cutting them out. Plus then if a conversation gets too awkward, you have the excuse to go back to your desk to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that is hard for me. I crave that adult, social interaction with other women. So, sometimes I settle for conversations that aren't uplifting to my spirit. Good for you for making a change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it can be hard to work with other women. I've been lucky enough to work for three fantastic women bosses, and never had a complaint! They were amazing, but I hear from friends and family that they sometimes have a very difficult time with other women in the workplace due to destructive gossip. You have a wonderful solution to your problem! I hope things work out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Gossip can be so destructive- a lesson I have had to learn the hard way, unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. Vanessa, this is so true. Gossip can cause a snowball effect and lead to untruths being passed as truths. It's all so complicated. I try to stay out of gossip although it's hard to when you're in a work environment or with acquaintances. I am just now getting to replying to comments. Firstly THANK YOU for commenting and putting the Aloha Friday Blog Hop button in your sidebar! I'm following you via GFC and bloglovin and Pinterest!!

    Aloha,

    Jean www.whatjeanlikes.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey Gorgeous!

Thanks for reading. I love hearing from my readers so please share what's on your mind!

{Be sure to set up your email address so I can reply! I try to respond to each and every comment, usually via email. Don't worry, no one sees your email but me and I only use it to respond to comments. If you are a no-reply-blogger than I'll just respond within the post, so be sure and check back!}

Pin It button on image hover